Friday, January 25, 2008

On a Lighter Note...

Now, I know most of you could probably care less, but I just had to show you the stack of baby food containers that goes into our garbage each morning. This is only one meal, people. I wish they would make a larger container of baby food where a person could portion the food out appropriately, but then again, I should probably just make the stuff.

Fundi baked a cake the other day and before we knew it, Captain was on the counter trying to get in on the action. I bet he'll know what to do at Birthday Number Two.
Here is Nibble. He fell asleep at the wheel... oh, I mean chair. He was eating. Fundi got up to do something. He came back and Nibble was sound asleep. I came home from town (my first time out in days and woke him up by telling Fundi the boob story about Fiona. (see previous post)
On to a different topic: Yesterday was a pretty good day. After Fundi gets up (he is working nights right now) Burbles has been napping. I fix lunch. Burbles wakes up. I go get her and hold her and feed her a bottle and we nap. The two of us. It is so nice and allows me the pleasure of staying up until 11 and not being a terrible grouch by the following evening.
Last night was one of those Right Start Classes where the kids who aren't really in school get to go to school to try it out. It is only one night a month, but it is a lot of fun and I wish it would be once a week. This month's theme was Games and much of the night was spent in the Gym. I need me a gym. Captain had a ball, pun intended. He was running and playing and organizing (don't know who he gets that from, haha). At one point, the teacher grabbed the garbage can of balls, dragged them to the center of the gym and started emptying the can. She set the can down behind her and started explaining to the other kids (the ones who were listening, and definitely not Captain) how they were going to play basketball. In the meanwhile, Captain pushed the garbage can clear across the gym to the door where it had originally been sitting. The teachers, God Bless Them, are wonderful and have the patience of Saints. Even when the kids do not listen and do their own thing entirely, they just go with the flow. Example: last night everyone was playing Duck, Duck, Goose (Duck, Duck, Grey Duck for you weirdos from Iowa) and Captain went around the inside of the circle Duck, Duck, Ducking. Fiona got goosed from the outside of the circle and was chasing the teacher to tag her when Fiona got a little far behind and just turned around (she isn't a dummy) and ran at the teacher from the other direction. Now, the teacher had specifically covered this in the five times that she had repeated the rules, but for whatever reason, a child who is only three doesn't really get "You have to go the same direction as I am if you want to catch me." I don't blame her, this direction is pretty abstract, when you think about it. So, even though the teacher got tagged by Fiona who was running in the opposite direction as the teacher, the teacher still made a big deal about how Fiona had caught the teacher. What a sport. Anyhow, because Captain was all wore out when we got home and it was already an hour past his bedtime, I put him to bed. He woke up at 8:30 this morning! I am always amazed.
He learned how to holler sometime yesterday. His first holler was at Fiona and it went something like this "No. No. No." OK, so that is exactly how it went, but I was curious to see if this would continue. And it did. All Day. And Today. It is like everything, even common phrases "Baby. Sleeping." is punctuated with a vocal level that I haven't heard in my quiet little boy. Poor Fundi. He is trying to sleep. And, to the best of my ability, I am ignoring it until it becomes too obnoxious to bear. I fear that acknowledging and making a big deal out of this new Loud Voice will only make it worse for the attention that it gets him. Any other hints?
Burbles learned to pucker sometime yesterday. She was so cute. Fundi says to me: "She is making fishy lips". Today I got to experience this for myself. Every time she took a bite of food, she puckered and the smacked her lips. It was cute. What was even cuter was when I started imitating her and she started giggling so hard. Then it was contagious and we just sat there for five minutes (or more) making fishy lips and smacking and giggling. What a riot.
I have good news and bad news. Which do you want first? OK, the bad news: The Big Band Dance will not include the Alumni this year; however, hopefully next year it will work out that we can play. This is due to the (and I totally understand) band instructor not wanting to disappoint her students who have worked so hard to this point. I thought about it after we had discussed all of this and though... "Now, if that were me when I were in high school and a bunch of alum who think they are still good (but don't know for sure if they are) come in and want to play with the band who practices their tails off, I don't know if I would be too happy about it." It was in that instant that I thought, now, maybe this isn't such a great idea. As a matter of fact, I would love to organize an alumni jazz band and then have it play at some sort of alumni gathering. I think that would be fun.
OK, the good news: I am going to an Usborne conference tomorrow in the Twin Cities. I am so excited to meet other people and share ideas and hopefully make some new friends.
And More Good News: I am organizing a Spring Bazaar for March 1st (Hey Lion, contact me about PChef, please...) and am so excited about it. I am hoping to have a bunch of different vendors from around the area come in and set up tables. Hopefully it goes over well. If you are in the area, please look for info closer to the date and plan on attending. Help support local businesses and individual in your community who can bring the products to you.
And Even More Good News: I have been reading like a banshee. I am so proud of myself. I even have a DSLite game that I haven't touched since I got it. I still do by brain training every night after the kids go to bed, but it isn't like the thing is attached to me.
Hope everyone has a good day and I just want to mention that I am so happy that Alice's Mom is doing well and that things looked good! That God for Modern Medicine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who the Hell in Iowa is counting gray ducks instead of gooses? lol
The fishy lips are too cute:) Let us know how the conference goes. It is great your getting some time away!