Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The woman with three arms had triplets...

OK, so I don't have any proof of this... but anyway, it is the same saying that has been running thorough my mind all morning. It isn't that bad, really... I promise. But, I just keep wondering how parents with multiples or many children do it? How do they get the time to do anything they want or need (bathroom, eat, sleep) to do? This is loaded. I know. They make certain things unimportant... things like making sure the laundry basket is empty (and both the washer and dryer), making sure their hair is combed (teeth brushing is important, though), and making sure there isn't any dust on their nick knacks. And, they make certain things important... things like encouragement, time, trust, discipline, and love. Those who have never done it before could never know how trying, difficult, sleepless, rewarding, and fulfilling having a child is. This fact is especially compounded when you (or I) have been reading books where there are sappy children situations or when you hear about a young father dying unexpectedly. You think about the choices you make and the values you instill in your children. You think about their future and your future. You remember the frailty of life and the finality (and certainty) of death.

I just put new batteries in all the battery operated toys.

I haven't left the house since Saturday.

Last night my kids managed to sleep from 6:15 (Burbles) and 6:30 (Captain) until 6:00 and 7:30 respectively. Once again, Captain didn't have clothes on when I went to retrieve him from his room. I didn't watch TV. Nothing on lately. Except... except did you hear???? Big Brother 9 will be on three nights a week starting February 12th. Thank you writer's strike. Anyhow... What I did do was read a book called The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. The book I read before that was called Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult.


Checkout my reading list on Goodreads - where you can see what your friends are reading.
http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDYzODI0NjY6MzEz%0A


Anyway, I have also been doing things around the house that are baby related. I have been putting away all of the "stuff" that comes with having little-little babies around (breast pumps, baby towels, burp cloths, pacifiers, etc.) and I changed over the kids' clothes to the next size up. Captain is now wearing 18 month stuff... finally. Although, most of these clothes are still a little long or big in the waist. I was just sick of looking at all those same 12 month clothes that he has been wearing for 10 months. And Burbles is now wearing 12 month clothes. They are still both wearing size 3 diapers, although they are finally in short supply in the pantry. Also, I think we have purchased our last container of formula. We have two and a half containers left. She hasn't been drinking more than 20 oz a day because she is eating more solid baby food, so the containers are lasting quite a while now (instead of the one a week that we had been going through). I hope that those two containers will last us through her one year birthday in three months when she can transition to whole milk. Then I will be done with bottles for a while. At least my own kids' bottles.

I am getting excited about summer (even though it hasn't stayed above zero here for quite a while). I'm looking forward to having kids that will be able to go places and doing things. I am especially looking forward to watching them explore new things. I love their expressions when something new is presented to them. It is amazing to watch the wheels turning as they learn about that new thing and how that thing works into their perception of the world. Amazing, I say.

This brings me to something new that Captain is doing lately: "Ouch... ouch.... bump... kiss it Mommy." Now, I'm not a big fan of this behavior, but for the time being, I'm entertaining it. I think that teaching a child sympathy works wonders, especially if that child has siblings. More than that, when he accidentally hurts me or I hurt myself (walk into something or whatever) I pretend cry. Empathy is important as well. Although, this may already be backfiring because sometimes he comes to me (from not being hurt) fake crying saying "Ouch... ouch... bump... kiss it Mommy." Now, I know that he isn't hurt. I know that he didn't get a bump. Do I know though that he doesn't want a kiss? Of course he wants a kiss. He is after all, a little boy. So, I redirect and acknowledge his need for attention by kissing him and then dancing or doing something funny like tickling. This usually works, I guess. But I looked at him the other day and wondered how long this would last. How long will he be willing to admit that he is hurt? How long will he be willing to admit that he needs Mommy or Daddy? How long will he be willing to come to us with everything? How long will we be able to watch him with the eyes of parents in wonder and awe before he does something that makes us start treating him like a big boy? Or does this ever happen? Is this why parents think that their kids can do no wrong? I don't think I am there, though. I know that he hits other kids. I watch him as he pushes his sister to the floor or puts his fingers in her mouth. (He is always quick to say "Sorry" and hug.) We respond appropriately and life goes on. I just hope that we do not ever come to the point where we have to admit that he does wrong. For now, it is what it is, I guess.

Burbles. She surprised us the other day. She said "Hi" and waved. It was amazing. I love her smile and her expressions. She is learning more about herself and her surroundings every day. She amazes me at how quick she is. She crawls like lightning. She is smart too. She snatches the toys she knows her brother likes and then lightning crawls away from him. She is putting balls into containers already. She still puts everything in her mouth, but even Captain still does that. She is the cutest little thing. She is a happy baby and very good natured... unless, of course, you are a stranger, in which case, she has to warm up (and this may take a while) before she will do anything less than scream if you even look like you are going to pick her up. She has red hair and an Irish temper to match. Thanks Gummie for that :).

I know this post sounds slightly jaded. It is all in light of the books I just got done reading. I'm not sad or depressed.

Here is the pretty lady herself. Look at that hair. and the potential for lots of curl and body.
Burbles and Daddy in the baby room right after a bath and before bedtime.
Yes. I. Am. This. Good. These two eat breakfast together in the mornings. It is a challenge, but it works out OK. I try and get it all over and done with. Now, an awesome mom would make the baby food, but for us it is just easier to buy the stuff. I figure by the time I bought the groceries and put in all the time into making the food, storing the food, etc, I am just better off leaving things to the professionals. That, and I know it is done right this way. No question of whether or not the stuff is too thick.
Fiona gave herself boobs this morning and I couldn't help but snicker. Then I grabbed my camera, but before I could get everything ready, Captain had felt of them and realized they were balls and knocked them out of her shirt. Unfortunately the second time she did it, they weren't positioned as perfectly as the first. I even watched her adjust them before she walked over to Captain to make sure that they were even. She even knew enough to pick the same size balls. Watch out guys, look who's stuffing her bra!Captain and his little balls that he is absolutely obsessed with. He moves them around the house and attempts to put them in places where he knows his sister can't get to them. Last night he even insisted that he carry them downstairs with him to bed (they didn't go in the bed with him, however) so that she didn't get them even though she was already sleeping.
There are usually nine. I don't know where the other one is and he obviously doesn't either or it would be here. He has mastered the task of carrying at least two in each hand and can cradle another in his arms if he is careful.

Yeah, they all go through a stage like this, I think. She wanted whatever was at the bottom of that tub. Somehow she managed to get her upper body over, but then she couldn't figure out what to do next.
And then she fell in.
Then Daddy gave her a big Kiss.
Elephant photo: 9 months
Elephant Photo: 21 months

No comments: