Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Ahhh... the holidays

HI all, I know, I know, it has been a while again. I could explain, but I am sure that I don't have to. You all understand how quickly the Holidays pass once they are actually here and I am sure that you have all been busy as well. I don't know how many people are still here reading as it has been harder and harder to write lately. I don't know if it is lack of motivation, lack of topic, lack of time... Whatever it is, I'm sorry. I know how much I look forward to reading all of your blogs and how disappointed I get after a while with no updates.
So, I have been thinking... now that we have the Holidays out of the way and New Year's is almost here, I have been thinking about my New Year's Resolution. I read something last year that said that a person should really stop promising to lose weight or stop drinking or smoking or doing any other dreadful habit and start promising to do something where there is more positive motivation for actually following through with your resolution. The example that was given was making it a point to send Birthday cards to everyone on your lists. Now, this may sound like fun, but at this point in time, I didn't even manage to get the Christmas cards out this year and I usually sent them out the day after Thanksgiving. Ugh. You don't know how much that frustrates me. I am usually on top of things like that, but not this year. I HAVE been busy. I haven't even read my owner's manual for my camera yet. Anyhow, back to the resolution topic. I was thinking that I really have been slacking on my reading lately. I have always enjoyed reading and the past few years have started to keep track of the books that I have read, the number of pages, and the date which I finished each book in my calendar. So... for 2008, I have been thinking that I am going to make my New Year's Resolution that I will read more. I have been trying to figure out an estimated time frame per book or number of pages per month or any other thing like that, but more than that, I have already started. In this past month, I have read two books. Granted, that really isn't a lot, BUT I have been working on catching up on my magazine reading, which is also burdensome to me. I have magazines upon magazines upon magazines that I need to read. I liberated myself a couple months ago by recycling about 5 year's worth of Glamour and Cosmo magazines. I had been holding onto them in hopes that someday I would get to a point where I could read them all, except that when I would pick up a magazine from 2002, the styles (which I would never have bought into anyway) were outdated and I don't really need all the information about "How to get the Guy" or "Quiz: Is He Into You?". Clearly, I already have that taken care of. Right now I need articles about "Spit-up: the Newest Fashion Accessory?" or "How to get your children to share even when 100 balls isn't enough". Anyhow... I feel that as far as New Year's Resolutions go, reading is a good, healthy, inexpensive (due to my refusal to purchase books and my incessant use of the library) and mentally stimulating activity that I am most likely to follow through on.
I finished my second book today Sam's Letters To Jennifer by James Patterson. The writing was cheesy in some parts and choppy in others, but the message and the story was catchy and romantic. I am working on ordering some books right now from InterLibraryLoan (LOVE), but more than that, I am in need of some reading suggestions and also some advice on keeping track of books that I have read. What is the best way to keep track of this information? Does anyone know of an online book diary? This would be sooo helpful in reminding me about what I have read and what I want to read without the gajillion small pieces of paper that I have lying around with titles of books and authors from my trips to Barnes and Noble or reading reviews in magazines.
Good grief... how far off topic can a person get when writing a blog after being gone for so long. Maybe photos are what are necessary to catch everyone up on our lives right now. That is what I'll do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know of a specific online book diary, but you could always start another blog that you attach to your current one. With each book you read you could include a description and review. I think this blog would be an easy reference for yourself, and fun for others as well since it would recommend books that we may have not read yet. In fact I may start a blog like this myself! It would be like a book club! I agree that resolutions are usually broken, and I support your idea for an alternative! I'm not sure if I'm going to make any this year. Guess we'll see:)