Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Golden Compass

Please be aware that this movie is not what it seems. Golden Compass is not a Narnia type movie. Fundi and I both watched the previews and thought that we would like to see this movie. We added it to our NetFlix list. Then, as I have been reading more and more with Usborne, and at church on Sunday, I realized that this is for real. This is a movie about kids who are trying to kill God. Now, I am not going to make up your mind for you, but anyone who plans to watch this movie should be aware of the strong atheist tones and the fact that the author who wrote the books this movie is based on was upset about how "watered-down" the film is compared to the books. I find this all so highly disturbing for any number of reasons. This is the time of year when Christianity is celebrated highly. This is also the time of year when (more than usual) parents drop their kids off at movies and do the Christmas shopping while the kids catch a show. Also, the advertising for this film is terribly misleading. We watched a polar bear running around with a woman who looked like a queen riding it. I feel that the advertising is misleading because a person sees one thing and gets another. They see a sci-fi, kid-friendly, animated movie that is set in a snowy climate (not unlike our own at this time of year) and think that it will me something like Narnia--only to get to the show and find that the movie is not anything of the sort. (Disclaimer: I will not be seeing this movie, so these are all observations based on advertising and here-say.) Now, there is something to be said about controversy and movies. People like to hear about controversy and the publicity that comes out of it is really just free advertising for the movie. I am hoping that we can send these people a message. It is not acceptable, this time of year or any other, for our children to be mislead into thinking that a movie is about one thing and it turns out to be about something entirely different. It is also not popular to go to movies such as this. More disturbing than any of this is the lack of knowledge by parents of what their kids are actually watching and reading. Let's stick it to them and let them know that we DO care about what our kids watch and read and that this particular material is NOT acceptable. Thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to look into it. I had planned to watch the movie. Most likly I still will so that I will no what I am against. I do not speak out against things I haven't seen. I decided that when churches started spreading lies about the Harry Potter books. When asked for specific passages or if they'd read the series the answer was usually no. I equate that to bombing a country because you are searching for "weapons of mass destruction" that may or may not actually be there. I want evidence to support my argument. Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know what I find out as well.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I HOPE YOU GET TO SPEND THE DAY DOING WHATEVER YOU WANT! lOVE, WENDY