Tuesday, June 19, 2007

LASIK Surgery...update

I am back from a full day of running around. I had my stent removed today and my kidney stone is gone. As of right now I am stone free. That took a little longer than expected, so I called the LASIK place and asked if we could come to a later appointment. They had a 3:00, so that is the one that we agreed to go to. We ate at McDonalds (we=me, Burbles and Captain, and my sister-in-law and her daughter). From there we left to go to LASIK Plus in Maple Grove. It was a long way. We got there and after some brief measuring of my eyes, the doctor pulled me in the exam room and told me that because of the extensive correction that I need, they would be unable to perform the surgery at this particular facility and that I could come back tomorrow to a different facility (one in Edina) to have surgery with the particular laser that will work best for me. We agreed to do this. This procedure is supposed to cost $400 more per eye than the procedure that I was going to have, but since I have already paid, I will not have to pay this extra amount. In addition to that, for my time and trouble, they gave me a $100 refund.
My vision is really poor. I asked the doctor yesterday what my vision is. He said that they do not have charts to measure my vision because it is so poor, but he would estimate that my vision is at least 20/1600. He explained that if I were to stand 20 feet away from something without my glasses or contacts on, what I saw would be equivalent to what a person with 20/20 vision sees at 1600 feet (almost 1/3 of a mile). It is really hard to have such poor vision. For example, when I wear my glasses, my vision stops where my lenses stop. I can read a large print book about two inches from my eyes. I would not be able to get to and from town without either my contacts or my glasses. I am dependant on them--I couldn't survive without them.
I was really excited for this opportunity and I still feel fortunate that I should be able to get good results with LASIK even with my vision being so poor. I'll continue to keep you updated, but like I said earlier, I will be away from the computer for a few days after the surgery because using the computer is hard on a person's eyes.

1 comment:

me said...

I am so happy for you. Just make sure you to your children everyday now that you got another chance to see. My grandmother was blind and I always think about her saying I would do that for you kids if I could see.