Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My Dad on Father's Day

My Dad was never really one to be too affectionate. He worked a lot. We grew up on a 360 acre farm and he held a full time job at a cheese factory on top of that. (He has worked there now for over 30 years.) He is still a busy guy. We sold the farm when I was in high school and moved to town. He continued working at the cheese factory, but he also picked up some other tasks. He became the community representative for the National Mutual Benefit (an insurance agency) where he plans activities and runs meetings with members. He is on our city council and has been involved in many committees but is currently the Vice President and is head of the Finance committee. He is President of one snowmobile club and involved in another. He drives school bus as a substitue bus driver and for activities and loves interacting with the kids. And, he is involved in our Knights of Columbus at our church.
But mostly, he is finally my Dad. Since my Mom passed away, Dad has become more involved in our lives. At first it seemed like it was more of a chore, but now he has become so much more comfortable in his role as Dad. He calls me up sometimes just to visit. He stops by to see if he can help with the kids. He took time off from work while I was sick to haul me to the doctor and to stay home with Captain when Captain was very ill with a fever and the flu. He took Fundi under his wing in the Knights of Columbus. When there was snowstorms this past winter and my Dad knew that Fundi was not going to be home from work until after dark, Dad handshoveled or loaded up his lawnmower/snowblower and came over and took care of the shoveling. Dad is able to see me as an adult now. He knows that we have our own family and our own obligations, but at the same time that we will not forget about him when it comes to our daily lives. He and my sister drove to the Dells this weekend for a day trip and spent the afternoon and evening with us. And when he leaves, he gives me a hug and says he'll see me later.
What is even cooler is how comfortable he is in his role as Grandpa. Captain absolutely adores his Gumpa. He often asks about him at breakfast. He is quick to recognize him in any photo. He goes on and on about "Gumpa Gumpa." And let me tell you, when he finally does get to see him, he gets so excited. He kisses his gotee and hugs him and kisses him some more. He has stayed over at Gumpa's house quite a few times (while I was sick or when we needed a break) and Gumpa and him always play and spend lots of time together. Gumpa takes Captain out for walks or just spends time with him on our deck looking at the birds, trees, flowers, sky, and whatever else interests the two of them. Gumpa holds Captain in church and Captain doesn't mind (he would rather be down and playing if anyone else tries to hold him). The day Captain was sick, Gumpa came over and layed with him on the couch. They slept on and off, but it was 2pm before they got off the couch to change a diaper and get a drink. (Captain was really sick.) Gumpa respects the fact that we don't let Captain watch TV, so he entertains him in other ways. Gumpa has totally baby proofed his house and lets Captain run about as he wishes. All of this amazes me because it is stuff that I know my Mom would have done, but I would never had imagined that Dad would be doing all these things now.
He is my Dad and his is Captain and Burbles's Gumpa and he is doing a great job at both.

No comments: