Thursday, June 14, 2007

Random Acts of Kindness

Aren't random acts of kindness wonderful?
My sister-in-law brought me two hanging baskets filled with flowers yesterday. Just because she thought my deck and my shepard's hooks needed to have flowers on them. They are beautiful.

My sister-in-law's mom also gave me a gift certificate for a get-well gift from the local flower shop. I had two bouquets of flowers made up for me and they are beautiful as well.

Random acts of kindness. I am not so good at them myself. I wish I were better. They make a person feel so good. They bring light to a person's life when there is something going on. They also make a person feel like there is good in the world and that people are good.
I have this theory that children are born to be inherently good people. If you ever watch a young child, he or she is born to trust. They say hi to one another. They love other people. But as a child gets older, they learn to hurt and hate. They learn that they can have power over someone else by treating them poorly. They learn that it is acceptable behavior to treat others with meanness. My wish for my children and my children's children is that they never learn to hate. I wish that this could be true, but I myself know that if they don't protect themselves someone else's children will walk all over them because the other children have been taught how to hate. My children can't live in a bubble. I understand that, but I hope that if they do learn to hurt and hate that they can also learn to love and be loved.
(This is the view from our deck.)

No comments: