Monday, July 9, 2007

Nothing Interesting

I guess I need to do something with myself... I don't have anything going on right now. I have been with the kids for the past few days and aside from taking my Grandma to dialysis and then doing some shopping (grocery and a Wal-Mart run) and then going to church (all on Saturday) I haven't left the house since! I know, it is only Monday, but really, when was the last time you didn't leave your house for two days?
I guess I could talk a little bit about my Wal-Mart trip. The kids were very patient as we walked around the store and chatted with everyone we knew. I used to work at Wal-Mart. As a matter of fact, I was part of the crew that set-up and opened the store in Winona, MN. I loved that part of my job. It was stressful, yes, but it was amazing to start with a HUGE open building and fill it up with all sorts of stuff. I was a manager in the Domestics Department and I rocked at my job. I had never done retail before and it was a good experience for me, but I guess that 9 months of Wal-Mart was enough for me. I guess that about 5 months was enough for me, but I tried to tough it out, but it just didn't get any better. Now, I know that some Wal-Mart stores are awesome with their staff. Everyone really likes their jobs and things go well, but our store was not one of those stores. So many people were unhappy. The upper management was pretty fresh to their jobs and most of them wanted to be friends instead of supervisors. I liked them all on a personal level, but most of them were not great supervisors. Like I said, I was good at what I did, but I was not as good at helping the other departments as they would have liked me to be. I felt that I had enough to do in my own department and that I only had one part time employee and that they used her enough in other departments. I got really frustrated with that and finally I just said that I had had enough. Only two supervisors are left in their departments that they started in. There are still a few people that I know at the store, so I visit with them when I go in to shop.
One woman, who worked in the pharmacy, actually became a good friend of mine. This winter when we were both pregnant and miserable, we had a good time chatting about it on the phone. She was on bed rest for about 12 weeks because of pre-term labor. She had a little boy in addition to her 4 year old boy. That was 11 weeks and 1 day before Burbles was born. I haven't talked to her lately. As a matter of fact, when I called her phones, they were disconnected. Last I talked with her, she was having some major mental health concerns and at the very least was having post-partum depression. More than that, she was incohesive when I talked to her. She would talk in circles and didn't make any sense. To me, there was more than just depression. She admitted that she had had mental health concerns in the past and that she had suffered post-partum depression with her first child. She said she was seeing a counselor, so I figured that she was getting the help she needed. Obviously not. I stopped in the pharmacy to see if anyone knew what was going on with her. They said that she had gotten into some trouble and that her husband had taken their kids and moved back to California to be with his family. They said that she had been running around, but that even her dad didn't know where she was and what she was doing. She had tried to get help a couple of times at different hospitals (I knew this from past conversations with her) but that she wasn't ready to accept the help that she needed. I don't know if there was a drug problem as well. She did work in the pharmacy and she had a history of substance abuse.... I don't know... I want to talk with her though, I want her to have her family back. That probably is compounding her issues.... ("oh, well, if I don't have the kids to take care of then why not get drunk, why not use drugs, why not die???"---I can just imagine what she is thinking.) I wish her the best. I hope that she can get her act together and get the help that she needs. She is too sweet a girl to let her whole life go to shambles. It is so sad.

No comments: