Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thankful yet Unsatisfied

A friend recently posted the question "Is it possible to be thankful yet unsatisfied?"

Yes, I am sure of it. The world thrives on thankful and unsatisfied. Thankful for what we have on Thanksgiving. Unsatisfied for what we could have on Black Friday. If we weren't unsatisfied we would cease to go about our lives. My thoughts are hard to explain, but I will try. As we go about our lives, we long for things. We are always looking forward to the next thing and the next thing. It is a person much more strong willed than I who can stop looking for the next (thing to do, thing to buy, place to go, vacation to have, milestone in my children's lives, etc.). To stop this looking forward would not allow us to be thankful for all that we do have and all that we could have. I am thankful that we have the money to put in fluorescent light bulbs throughout our home. I look forward to getting the next energy bill (hopefully substantially less than our previous bills). I am thankful that I got to eat lunch today. I look forward to eating my next meal. And on and on. Over time, we forget about being thankful for those things like life because if you spend all the time being thankful, can you really still be living? If you were to just be thankful that your car accident wasn't worse, that would be fine, but you really are thankful that you can live another day and that you can look forward to going to work or spending the day with your Honey. That feeling of being unsatisfied, I think, comes with the territory. A person is trained to be unsatisfied throughout their lives so that they have the drive to make it to the next day.

I am terribly Thankful for what I have in the season of thankfulness. As we search this world for who we are and who we are to become, I just want everyone out there to know that I am thankful for them and even if I don't know you, I know that someone is thankful for your existence.

Happy Thanksgiving!
(I know this is early, but I don't know if I will get around to writing more for a while. I have been busy with getting my business going and will be busy this coming week with my business as well as with getting ready for the holidays and my Kick-Off Show which will be on Sunday, November 25th, 2007 at 6pm at our house. Everyone is invited. Bring a friend!

No comments: