Sunday, August 5, 2007

Church Today

Today at church, the Priest talked about materialism and how caught up in buying things people are. I find this myself and he said that he did this as well. We drive past a boat and think... gee, I wish I could have that. Or we look at large houses with elaborate decor and think... gosh, I would love it if my house were that big and I could have that decoration. We all get caught up in this at one time or another, but it is important to remember what we NEED vs. what we WANT and then remember that other people out there may need help getting what they NEED and it is our job to help them.
On Wednesday, the 35W Bridge collapsed in the Twin Cities. What a terrible tragedy. We all hate to see such suffering and death. It hurts us even more when something like this happens so close to home. We must remember to be close to God at all times because the reality is that we never know from one moment to the next what is going to happen. God will not care how many things we have or how many things we have to do. He will care about what we have done for others and what we have done to ready ourselves for what may come at any time.
I don't mean to harp. I know that I need to work on this myself. I want to get this or that for the kids or I think I need a new digital camera because mine isn't as nice as my mother-in-law's, but really, as long as I can take photos with the camera I have, there is no need for me to buy a new one. I need to remember to say my prayers. I say prayers with the kids every day, but a lot of times, I don't say my own. And mostly, I need to remember to thank God for what he has provided for me and my family and those I love. And I need to remember to tell those I love that I love them.

No comments: